Barry H. Paw, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Brigham & Women’s Hospital
Division of Hematology
Harvard Institutes of Medicine 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Room 616 Boston, MA 02115-5727
Dr. Paw received his A.B. (Biochemistry) degree from University of California, Berkeley, and his M.D. and Ph.D. (Biological Chemistry) degrees from University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine. He completed an internship and residency in pediatrics at Boston Children’s Hospital and a fellowship in pediatric hematology-oncology at Boston Children’s Hospital and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. He conducted post-doctoral research fellowship in zebrafish genetics and hematopoiesis at Boston Children’s Hospital. He is currently an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and an attending physician in Pediatric Oncology at Boston Children’s Hospital and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
He was a recipient of the William Randolph Hearst Young Investigator Award in 2002, a Basil O’Connor Scholar Award from the March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation in 2004, and the Young Investigator President’s Award from the International BioIron Society in 2005. Dr. Paw was also elected into the American Society for Clinical Investigation in 2008. His research group is supported by the National Institutes of Health (NHLBI and NIDDK).
- Shaw GC, Cope JJ, Li L, Corson K, Hersey C, Ackermann GE, Gwynn B, Lambert AJ, Traver D, Trede NS, Barut BA, Minet E, Zhou Y, Donovan A, Brownlie A, Balzan R, Weiss MJ, Peters LL, Kaplan J, Zon LI, Paw BH. Mitoferrin is essential for erythroid iron assimilation. Nature 2006; 440:96-100.
- Chen W, Paradkar PN, Li L, Pierce EL, Langer NB, Takahashi-Makise N, Hyde BB, Shirihai OS, Ward DM, Kaplan J, Paw BH. Abcb10 physically interacts with mitoferrin1 (slc25a37) to enhance its stability and function in the erythroid mitochondria. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2009; 106:16263-16268. (Issue Commentary)
- Schultz IJ, Chen C, Paw BH*, Hamza I*. Iron and porphyrin trafficking in heme biogenesis. J. Biol. Chem. 2010; 285:26753-26759. [*co-corresponding senior authors].
- Shah DI, Takahashi-Makise N, Cooney JD, Li L, Schultz IJ, Pierce EL, Narla A, Seguin A, Hattangadi SM, Medlock A, Langer NB, Dailey TA, Hurst SN, Faccenda D, Wiwczar J, Heggers SK, Vogin G, Chen W, Chen C, Campagna DR, Brugnara C, Zhou Y, Ebert BL, Danial NN, Fleming MD, Ward DM, Campanella M, Dailey HA, Kaplan J, Paw BH. Mitochondrial Atpif1 regulates heme synthesis in developing erythroblasts. Nature 2012; 491:608-612.
- Chen C, Garcia-Santos D, Ishikawa Y, Seguin A, Li L, Fegan KH, Hildick-Smith GJ, Shah DI Cooney JD, Chen W, King MJ, Yien YY, Schultz IJ, Anderson H, Dalton AJ, Freedman ML, Kingsley PD, Palis J, Hattangadi SM, Lodish HF, Ward DM, Kaplan J, Maeda T, Ponka P, Paw BH. Snx3 regulates recycling of the transferrin receptor and iron assimilation. Cell Metabolism 2013; 17:343-352.
- Hildick-Smith GJ, Cooney JD, Garone C, Kremer L, Haack TB, Thon JN, Miyata N, Lieber DS, Calvo SE, Akman HO, Yien YY, Huston NC, Branco DS, Shah DI, Freedman ML, Koehler CM, Italiano JE, Merkenschlager A, Beblo S, Strom TM, Meitinger T, Freisinger P, Donati MA, Prokisch H, Mootha VK, DiMauro S, Paw BH. Macrocytic anemia and mitochondriopathy resulting from a defect in sideroflexin 4. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2013; 93:906-914.
- Chung J, Anderson SA, Gwynn B, Deck KM, Chen MJ, Langer NB, Shaw GC, Huston NC, Boyer LF, Datta S, Paradkar PN, Li L, Wei Z, Lambert AJ, Sahr K, Wittig JG, Chen W, Lu W, Galy B, Schlaeger TM, Hentze MW, Ward DM, Kaplan J, Eisenstein RS, Peters LL, Paw BH. Iron response protein-1 protects against Mitoferrin1-deficient porphyria. J. Biol. Chem. 2014; 289:7835-7843.
- Yien YY, Robledo RF, Schultz IJ, Takahashi-Makise N, Gwynn B, Bauer DE, Dass A, Yi G, Li L, Hildick-Smith GJ, Cooney JD, Pierce EL, Mohler K, Dailey TA, Miyata N, Kingsley PD, Garone C, Hattangadi SM, Huang H, Chen W, Keenan EM, Shah DI, Schlaeger TM, DiMauro S, Orkin SH, Cantor AB, Palis J, Koehler CM, Lodish HF, Kaplan J, Ward DM, Dailey HA, Phillips JD, Peters LL, Paw BH. TMEM14C is required for erythroid mitochondrial heme metabolism. J. Clin. Invest. 2014; 124:4294-4304. (Featured in the NIDDK Annual Report, 2015)
- Chung J, Bauer DE, Ghamari A, Nizzi CP, Deck KM, Kingsley PD, Yien YY, Huston NC, Chen C, Schultz IJ, Dalton AJ, Wittig JG, Palis J, Orkin SH, Lodish HF, Eisenstein RS, Cantor AB, Paw BH. The mTORC1/4E-BP pathway coordinates hemoglobin production with L-leucine availability. Science Signaling 2015; 8:ra35. (Issue Commentary and Cover Illustration)
- Grillo AS, SantaMaria AM, Kafina MD, Cioffi AG, Huston NC, Han M, See YA, Yien YY, Nardone C, Menon AV, Fan J, Svoboda DC, Anderson JB, Hong JD, Nicolau BG, Subedi K, Gewirth AA, Wessling-Resnick M*, Kim J*, Paw BH*, Burke MD*. Restored iron transport by a small molecule promotes absorption and hemoglobinization in animals. Science 2017; 356:608-616 [*co-corresponding senior authors]. (Issue Commentary)
- Chung J, Wittig JG, Ghamari A, Maeda M, Dailey TA, Bergonia H, Kafina MD, Coughlin EE, Minogue CE, Hebert AS, Li L, Kaplan J, Lodish HF, Bauer DE, Orkin SH, Cantor AB, Maeda T, Phillips JD, Coon JJ, Pagliarini DJ, Dailey HA, Paw BH. Erythropoietin signaling regulates heme biosynthesis. eLife 2017; 6:e24767. (doi: 10.7554/eLife.24767).
- Yien YY, Ducamp S, van der Vorm LN, Kardon JR, Manceau H, Kannengiesser C, Bergonia HA, Kafina MD, Karim Z, Gouya L, Baker TA*, Puy H*, Phillips JD*, Nicolas G, Paw BH*. A mutation in human CLPX elevates levels of δ-aminolevulinate synthase and protoporphyrin IX to promote erythropoietic protoporphyria. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2017; 114:E8045-E8052. (doi: 10.173/pnas.1700632114). [*co-corresponding senior authors].
The Fish Farm
Jacky Chung, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow (2012- )
Recipient, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Fellowship (2012-2015)
American Society of Hematology Scholar Fellowship (2015-2017)
Diamond-Blackfan Anemia Foundation Fellowship (2017- ).
Yvette Yien, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow (2012-2015); Instructor (2015- )
Recipient, NHLBI T32 and NIDDK F32 Fellowships (2012-2015) and
NIDDK K01 Fellowship (2015-2020)
Graduate, B.A., Neuroscience, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT (2013);
Brandeis Univ., M.S. Neuroscience, Waltham, MA (2015).
Lisa van der Vorm
Visiting graduate student,
Radboud Universiteit, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, (January 2016- )
Recipient, Nora Baart Foundation and Dutch GI/Liver Foundation Fellowships
Visiting undergraduate student,
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (June 2016- )
Eva Buys, Ph.D.
BWH Zebrafish Core Facility Project Manager
Zebrafish Facility Research Technician
Zebrafish Facility Research Technician
BWH Hematology Administrative Assistant